Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Prohibition Ale - Speakeasy Ales and Lagers

    Prohibition Ale is an American style Amber Ale created by Speakeasy Ales and Lagers which is located in San Francisco, California. This beer came in my second shipment of beers from my craft beer club.

    The ale pours a dark amber color with one finger of cream colored foam on top.

    Prohibition Ale smells very malty. There is just a tiny bit of hops in the smell, but the beer's scent is mainly sweet.

    Speakeasy's Amber Ale is medium-light bodied and has a mid-level of carbonation. The hops leave a slight oily film in the mouth after swallowing. With an alcohol content of 6.1% ABV, the Amber Ale has no hint of an alcohol warmth or flavor.

N'yeah see!


    The beer's flavor is actually somewhat surprising from what one might expect from the smell. Lots of roasted, malty sweetness is present as the scent of the beer suggests. Unexpectedly, there is actually a good amount of hops flavor and bitterness in the beer as well. This bitterness sticks around long after the malt flavor has subsided, creating a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste.

    The real problem with this beer is not its flavor or character, but what it turns you into. After drinking a bottle of this American style Amber Ale, I had to be stopped from running around the apartment with a Nerf gun screaming "You'll never take me alive coppers!!" I was finally stopped by my wife when I attempted to make our cat an offer he couldn't refuse, with just one caveat, that he send our other cat to the "big litterbox in the sky." She hadn't been paying her protection money after all!

    Prohibition Ale is a decent Amber Ale though the hops come through a bit more than I think they should. This hop-heaviness doesn't stop the ale from being an easy-drinking beer, however.


Amulets and Ale Rating:



2 comments:

  1. Blegh! This one hit my tongue like a bad batch of bathtub gin. Except that I like gin...and didn't like this beer at all. Lying to me that it's an amber ale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite beer "photo" yet though!

    ReplyDelete