Monday, January 7, 2013

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock - Samuel Adams

    Of all the offices in all the buildings in this city, she had to walk into mine. I'd seen her type before; tall, dark, and beautiful. She was the kind of girl who knew how to play a man like a violin to any tune she wished. I knew I was in for trouble, but against my better judgement I took her job. Now it's just me, my .38, and whatever luck I have left against whatever filth this case throws at me. This is one hell of a dirty city, but it's my city. That Vixen was just one more player in this macabre circus I call a job.

    The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock is brewed by the Boston Beer Company located in Boston, Massachusetts and is part of their "Small Batch" series. I received this 22oz. bomber as a gift from Santa along with a few others.

A pour almost as dark as the human mind.
    The Vixen pours a dark, black coffee color with a finger or so of a thick, khaki head on top. Just pouring it I can tell  that this is going to be a sweet beer. The bock's smell just strengthens that prediction with sweet malty notes along with the slight smell of alcohol.

    The Chocolate Chili Bock is medium bodied with light carbonation. The beer tastes of sweet dark chocolate and slightly of coffee. There is  a slight warmth from the alcohol, which at 8.5% ABV isn't surprising. Unfortunately there is very little spice warmth from the chilies supposedly used in brewing the beer.

    Overall this was a very sweet beer. As a chocolate bock, this sweetness is not surprising. What was surprising however was the fact that there was little to no spice from the chilies. I had very high hopes for this beer. I was excited to taste it thinking that the bock would taste something like Mexican hot chocolate. The spice would have been such a good counter-balance to the sweet so prominently displayed by this beer. As a chocolate bock alone, this beer is quite good.

Amulets and Ale Rating:



1 comment:

  1. I didn't get the chocolate taste at all, and definitely no chili. I had their double chocolate bock and that had a great chocolate flavor. This just tasted like a nondescript "dark beer" to me. Maybe that's just female jealousy talking ;)

    ReplyDelete