Monday, April 29, 2013

Pecan Harvest Ale - Abita Brewing Co.

    Pecan Harvest Ale is a Brown Ale created by Abita Brewing Co. which is located in Abita Springs, Louisiana. Pecan Harvest Ale differs from other Browns in that Pecans are added to the brew for a subtle nutty flavor. This beer was donated to Amulets and Ale by Emily Hohman.

    Abita's Brown Ale pours a copper color with a substantial beige head. Some lacing can be seen on the glass as the beer level diminishes.

    The beer smells mildly of sweet malts and toffee. There is also a noticeable hint of nuttiness to the beer.

    Pecan Harvest Ale is a light bodied beer with very little carbonation. The body is so thin that you have swallowed the beer before you even realize that you had some in your mouth.

    The Brown Ale's flavor is quite mild. A base of sweet malts is the main flavor with the tiniest bit of hops coming in at the end. You really can taste the pecans in the beer, which I find quite nice. The light toffee sweetness and nutty flavors remind me of a pecan pie, though much more subtle in flavor.
More like a "light brown" ale.

    I'm not really a fan of pecan pie, though I do find this beer to be pleasant. I'm starting to think that Abita Brewing Co. got their name from the various things that they add to their beers. The last Abita beer that I reviewed, Purple Haze, has raspberries added to the mix. Abita's brewmaster must just run around the brewery putting "a-bit-a" this into one vat, and "a-bit-a" that into another. Well, I suppose if he goes around doing that long enough he's bound to come across some very good combinations, and Pecan Harvest Ale seems to be one of them.

    I am, however, disappointed in the body and flavor of this beer. Such a thin, water-like body is not very pleasant to me when I'm drinking beer. The lightness of the flavors make me think even more that Pecan Harvest Ale comes off as watery. Luckily, Abita found that Pecans really add something nice to their beer, changing an average beer to a slightly better than average beer.


Amulets and Ale Rating:

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't taste pecans at all in it... I was pretty disappointed considering that I really like purple haze.

    ReplyDelete