Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hoplanta - Red Brick Brewing Company

    Hoplanta is an American India Pale Ale created by Red Brick Brewing Company in Atlanta, Georgia. I have to mention the quote on the label because it makes me laugh, it says: "Hoppier than a bullfrog with a stubbed toe!" I imagine that would be quite hoppy indeed!

    The IPA pours a slightly hazy, orange-amber color with a thin, half-finger, white head. The foam leaves some thin lacing on the sides of the glass.

    The beer's aroma is that of citrus fruits mingling with earthy, piney hops. There is a small bit of caramel sweetness behind the hops scents, as well as a light, bready smell.

    Hoplanta is medium to full bodied with a medium level of carbonation. I'm quite surprised how full the body is for an IPA. The combination of body and carbonation work together to create a very creamy mouthfeel. The ale finishes dry, with most of the flavors quickly dissipating after swallowing. The beer has an alcohol content of 6.7% ABV.
A good cure for a stubbed toe.

    Hoplanta features hops prominently, as most IPAs do. Bitter grapefruit and orange flavors mingle with the more earthy, piney, resinous flavors that hops are known for. There is a mild sweetness to the beer which keeps the more astringent bitter flavors at bay, while still letting some hop character come through. The only bitterness left in the mouth after swallowing is reminiscent of citrus rind.

    As I said before, I'm highly amused by the bullfrog with the stubbed toe line. It seems to me that frogs, especially ones with painful feet, are one of the animal types that most need a beer. I mean think about it, a huge number of their species is being found mysteriously dead, or creepily mutated with more than one head. Our current world hates frogs, and it's likely our fault as humans. If that wouldn't drive a frog to drink, I don't know what would. I don't know if Red Brick had frogs in mind when they made this beer, but I think that they might have unknowingly made a few amphibious friends with its creation.

    Hoplanta is a much fuller-bodied IPA than most I have had. This could be seen as risky if the fullness stuck around as a hugely bitter aftertaste, but Hoplanta avoids that problem and showcases some of the more common hops flavors wonderfully. My one real complaint with the beer is that the flavor seems to dissipate quickly, leaving a watery taste in my mouth. Not a bad IPA though. If you're ever in, or around Atlanta, this would be one to try.

Amulets and Ale Rating:



1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that a frog with a stubbed toe should be thankful he still has them, and maybe share his beer with his friend that got caught for the frog leg special.

    ReplyDelete