Friday, October 4, 2013

Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale - Coors Brewing Company

    Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale is a spin on an American Pale Wheat Ale brewed by Coors Brewing Company in Golden, Colorado. This is Blue Moon's summer seasonal release. I'll have to admit that I'm already somewhat biased against Blue Moon beers, but I promise to give this one a fair chance!

    The ale pours a clear, pale straw color with lots of effervescent bubbles. A large, off-white head forms after pouring, but very quickly subsides to a thin film over the beer.

    The Pale Wheat smells of sweet wheat, almost like cereal. There is a slight earthy zing in the aroma as well that could either be from hops or the agave nectar. Overall though, the smell is pretty light.

    Blue Moon Agave Nectar Ale is medium bodied, and nearly syrupy in texture. There is a low level of carbonation, which I find surprising after seeing so many bubbles in the glass at pouring. For once I wish that there was a higher level of carbonation in a beer. The Ale has an alcohol content of 5.6% ABV.
Agave Nectar Ale growing in nature.

    The Pale Wheat Ale's malt flavors are extremely light and nearly not there at all. Cereal wheat flavor is present, as well as some corn sourness. These malt flavors are soon overtaken by an extreme sweetness from the agave nectar. This sweetness persists even after the ale is swallowed, and is almost overpowering.

    Agave nectar is an interesting flavor to try to describe. If you want to know just how sweet this ale is, imagine honey. Now add a little bit more of a vegetable/"green" flavor to honey and you have agave nectar. I'm guessing that the nectar was added after fermentation, as there would be much less sweetness to the ale and a much higher alcohol content.

    When I smelled the beer at first I was hopeful that I had found a Blue Moon variety that I would like, but was soon disappointed. What I mistook for earthy hops turned out to be the agave nectar which adds an almost unbearable sweetness to the beer. I would suggest that Blue Moon lightly hop this ale so that the sweetness is tamed down a bit by some bitterness. Otherwise, this beer is much too sweet for me to enjoy.

Amulets and Ale Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment