Monday, January 27, 2014

Porkslap Pale Ale - Butternuts Beer & Ale

    Porkslap Pale Ale is an American Pale Ale brewed by Butternuts Beer & Ale which is located in Garrattsville, New York. I think it's obvious why this beer was chosen to review.

    Porkslap pours a slightly hazy, golden-amber. The beer has an unfiltered look to it, with small particles floating around inside the beer. A small head forms, but quickly dissipates. Lots of bubbles bounce around the inside of the glass after pouring.

    The Pale Ale smells very malty with little hops aroma. The malt smells remind me of biscuits with honey on them. The slight hops scent is that of piney resin.

     Porkslap is on the low end of medium-bodied, and has a nice fizz to it. The beer finishes surprisingly dry. Porkslap has an alcohol content of 4.3% ABV.
Amulets and Ale does not condone the slapping of innocent
pigs, no matter how much you've had to drink.

    Butternut's Pale Ale is pretty mild in its flavor. Only the slightest piney hops can be tasted in the front, with strong and sweet malts coming in soon after. The malts have a nice honey flavor to them, as well as a biscuity, breadiness. I don't know if it's the pork imagery or what, but this beer tastes a bit like breakfast to me. The beer has a strange metallic aftertaste though, which is unpleasant and leaves my mouth dry and almost thirsty feeling.

    I don't even want to venture into the territory of what could have made Butternut call this beer "Porkslap". All I can assume is that it involved the drunken abuse of either some farm animals, or a portly uncle. Don't ask.

    Porkslap is extremely sweet for a Pale Ale, and exhibits none of the hop character one would expect from the style. I feel as though the beer would be more at home in the Amber Ale genre. The beer is borderline too sweet for me, though people who aren't too keen on the hoppier Pale Ales might enjoy the reprieve from hops. The metallic flavor that left my mouth feeling strange was really my biggest complaint with the beer though. I don't know if it is the packaging, or the beer itself that causes the sensation, but it's quite unpleasant.

Amulets and Ale Rating:

 
Follow Amulets and Ale on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AmuletsAndAle!

No comments:

Post a Comment