Monday, October 2, 2017

Two Evil: Geyser Gose - Two Roads Brewing Company and Evil Twin Brewing

    Two Evil: Geyser Gose is a Gose (say it similarly to "goes-uh") created in a collaboration between Evil Twin Brewing from Copenhagen, Denmark and Two Roads Brewing Company in Stratford, Connecticut. Geyser Gose features many unique ingredients that were procured when the brewers visited Iceland. This beer has a lot of international travel to thank for its creation!

    Geyser Gose pours a golden-straw color with a slight haze to it. A thin, white head tops the beer for a few seconds before settling down into a slight film on top of the brew.

    The Gose has a pleasantly tart citrus aroma that reminds me of lemonade. There is also a hint of some earthy notes - a smell that makes me think of hay or grass but not as strong. I've had quite a few of these beers lately, and I've only just recently noticed that something in the beer's aroma makes me think of being around the ocean's salty smelling air.

    Geyser is pretty light bodied, and has a medium-high level of carbonation. The Gose leaves just a tiny bit of an acidic feeling in your mouth, again, reminding me of lemonade. With an alcohol content of 5.5% ABV, Geyser Gose isn't exactly a session beer, though its so refreshing you might be tempted to try.

The first thing I'd visit in Iceand.
    According to Two Roads Brewing, Geyser Gose is made with Icelandic moss, herbs, sea kelp, Icelandic yogurt, rye, and smoked sea-salt. These ingredients may seem strange, but they work together so well that you hardly notice any one flavor without concentrating on separating them out in your mind. The main flavor in Geyser Gose is tart citrus fruits. This citrus flavor is light enough that the beer is extremely refreshing rather than cloying. There is also a slight saltiness to the beer, which is characteristic of a Gose. Much more subtle, flavors which taste like the ocean smells (minus the fishiness), and a slight mineral-like flavor are also present in the beer.

    I have not personally visited Iceland before, but I have heard only good things about it. I like to pretend that there are geysers in Iceland which have spouted this beer for ages unknown. Eventually, human settlers learned that they could collect this liquid shooting from the earth, and enjoy its refreshing and rejuvenating qualities. It seems a likely story that these collaborating brewers "came up with" this beer on their own. I find it much more likely that they stumbled upon one of these geysers on their trip to Iceland and immediately formulated a plan to can nature's bounty. It seems extra cheeky of the brewers then to indirectly admit to what they did by naming the beer Geyser Gose!

    I tried Geyser Gose for the first time early this summer and it quickly became THE beer of summer 2017 for me. I can't emphasize enough how refreshing this Gose is - especially on an outdoor patio, at the lake, or at the beach. My only complaint is that the beer seems to be a little over-complicated with its massive list of specialty ingredients that are hard to taste without concentration. I find myself wondering how much each ingredient actually adds to the overall flavor of the beer. I love Geyser Gose how it is, however, so I don't want to risk losing anything!

Amulets and Ale Rating:


Follow Amulets and Ale on Facebbook! http://www.facebook.com/AmuletsAndAle

No comments:

Post a Comment