Sunday, December 30, 2012

Zombie Dust - Three Floyds Brewing Co.

    The American Pale Ale, Zombie Dust, by Three Floyds Brewing Co., located in Munster, Indiana, has experienced a huge rise in popularity in the past year or two. The beer has received extremely high ratings on many beer websites and has won many prestigious awards in the beer makers contest circuit. In addition to these rewards, Zombie Dust holds the coveted position of being my favorite beer that I have ever tried.

    Zombie Dust pours a light, hazy amber with a small off-white head. The beer's scent is amazing. As soon as the lid is popped open, the smell of flowery hops and grapefruit peel surround you. Pouring the beer into a glass just allows more of this seductive scent to waft to your nose. The light scent of sugar and fruits can be perceived once the initial hop bouquet fades. There is also an herbal quality to the smell though I can't place it specifically.

The beer is light bodied with a medium level of carbonation. The bubbles help to foam the beer onto the pallet making the scent and taste into one experience. At 6.4% ABV, the alcohol content is just slightly higher than a typical pale ale.

    Zombie Dust tastes much as it smells. There is an extremely prevalent flavor of citrus thanks to the Citra hops used in the brew by Three Floyds. The main citrus flavor is grapefruit with a bit of a tangerine flavor as well. All the hops in the beer give it a nice bitterness that is balanced by a strong malt backing, keeping the bitterness from becoming overwhelming. In addition to the citrus, mango can be tasted in the brew as well.

    I first tried Zombie Dust before I was a major beer lover. Even then, in my unfamiliarity with beer, I could tell that this beer was a great one. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this beer is responsible for my growing interest in beer tasting and, as such, holds a special place in my beer heart.

    Overall, Zombie Dust makes for a great beer drinking experience. The large amount of hops in the brew might turn off newer beer drinkers due to their bitterness, but it is definitely worth trying. If you ever get a chance to try Zombie Dust I highly recommend it!

Amulets and Ale Rating:


1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly. I am a complete noob when it comes to beer, and Zombie Dust blew me away. It may have ruined me for other beer, somewhat.

    ReplyDelete