Saturday, February 23, 2013

Sofie - Goose Island Beer Co.

    Sofie is a Saison (also known as a Farm House Ale) created by Goose Island Beer Co. which is located in Chicago, Illinois. I recently had the beer on tap at a local bar and loved it, so when I saw this bottle on a random trip to the liquor store I had to pick it up.

    The Saison pours a pale yellow color with a bubbly froth on top. There is a definite effervescence in the beer, the bubbles give the beer an appearance similar to champagne.

    Belgian yeast is prominent in the ale's scent as is the aroma of citrus peel. The smell is extremely bright and interesting with a tiny bit of spice backing the lemony aroma.

   Sofie is light bodied with a huge level of carbonation. Long after pouring, bubbles continue to dance around inside of the glass. The ale is very crisp and pleasantly tart. With an alcohol content of 6.5% ABV, Sofie has little in the way of alcohol flavor nor warmth.

Bubbly and sweet, I've never wanted to date a beer so much before!
     Goose Island's Saison has many light flavors which work together to create an invigorating bouquet. Fruit flavors such as lemon and pear mingle with the fruity tasting Belgian yeast to create an interesting sweetness. There is very little bitterness in the ale, and what bitterness there is comes off as the tartness of citrus fruits. As the ale warms up, flavors of wheat and a flavor almost like that of wine begin to come through.

    When I first tasted this beer I remarked to my friends that I thought it tasted like a pretty girl. No, I wasn't admitting to cannibalism. I was merely trying to express what the Saison's aroma and flavor conjured in my mind. The citrusy effervescence and wonderful aroma bring to mind the flowery perfume of a beautiful girl in the springtime. Perhaps this mental image was shared by the beer masters at Goose Island Beer Co., explaining why the ale received a girl's name.

    I was incredibly surprised that I liked this beer as I do not normally care for the flavor that Belgian yeasts lend to beers. I took a chance in trying the ale and I am extremely glad that I did. The crisp flavors and high level of carbonation really make this Saison seem like a true champagne of beers.

Amulets and Ale rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment