Monday, May 20, 2013

Exodus Porter - SweetWater Brewing Company

    Exodus Porter is a Porter created by SweetWater Brewing Company which is located in Atlanta, Georgia. This beer got its name due to the first batch being brewed on Bob Marley's birthday.

    The Porter pours a dark black color which lets very little light pass through the glass. A finger of khaki head can be seen after pouring with no lacing on the glass being apparent.

    The beer smells lightly of coffee and cocoa. There is a huge roasted malt scent and only the slightest bit of hops aroma.

    Exodus is medium bodied with a medium-high level of carbonation. I would prefer the beer to have a bit lower carbonation as it would feel smoother rather than bubbly on the palette. The high level of bubbles does, however, make the body seem thicker than it would otherwise feel. The beer has an alcohol content of 5.9% ABV.


Three little beers, pitch by my doorstep,
every little thing gonna be alright!
    Exodus is more lightly flavored than some Porters I have had. The first flavor is that of roasted coffee beans followed by chocolate. There is definitely the flavor of roasted malts in the beer, though it comes in secondarily to the other flavors. There is only the tiniest bit of hops bitterness to the Porter, almost nothing perceptible.

    Personally, I don't usually like Porters very much. The main thing that turns me off about them is their "blackness", or the amount that the beer tastes like coffee. I don't know why it bothers me, but I really don't like my beer to taste like coffee. Maybe it is the same reason that I have always hated the coffee flavored jelly beans. Exodus Porter actually comes off as pleasurable to me, even with its coffee flavor. The lightness of the flavors in the beer keep the coffee flavor from overwhelming me and I can still taste the roasty malts and chocolate flavors in it. Overall, not a bad showing from SweetWater Brewing Company.


Amulets and Ale Rating:


Discuss this review and more on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AmuletsAndAle!

1 comment: