Saturday, March 23, 2013

Oberon Ale - Bell's Brewery Inc.

    Oberon Ale is a Wheat Beer created by Bell's Brewery Inc. which is located in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Oberon is Bells' Summer seasonal beer. This beer, like a few other beers appearing on the blog, was donated by Emily Hohman. I held one back for a day just like today when I am officially tired of Winter and ready to usher in warmer weather. Lets see if this beer can do the trick!

    Oberon ale pours a bright golden color with a thin, white head on top which doesn't linger for long. The ale is quite bubbly, giving it an energetic appearance. There are tiny flecks of wheat in the beer.

    The ale smells sweetly of wheat malts. There is also a slight scent of orange peel and lemon from the hops.

    The Wheat Beer is medium bodied with a medium level of carbonation. Oberon has an alcohol content of 5.8% ABV.

It's like the sun in liquid form!
    Bells' Summer ale features a full wheat flavor which is very refreshing. Sweet malts back the wheat flavor up with their sweetness. Similar to the nose of the beer, slight lemon and orange fruitiness can be tasted. Oberon also has a slight hint of a coriander-like spiciness. There is an almost grassy flavor to the ale, which I assume comes from the hops as well. This isn't an unpleasant taste, but instead makes me imagine being in a flowered meadow with the sun high in the sky.

    I made it farther through this Winter without getting sick of the cold than in past years, though the chill has finally worn out its welcome. Oberon definitely conjures up feelings of Summer and the warmer months. While I doubt a beer could ever change the seasons, Oberon has definitely taken my mind to a warmer clime.

    I am not usually a fan of Wheat Beers, though I have to say that Oberon is my favorite of the Wheats that I have tried. I very much enjoy the light citrus flavor in the ale, but most of all I appreciate the massive amount of wheat flavor packed into the beer. I think one of my main gripes with other Wheat Beers is that brewers tend to focus too much on the fruitiness instead of putting out a strong wheat flavored beer.


Amulets and Ale Rating:



Special Thanks to Emily Hohman!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it is "donated" so much as "I'm too lazy to bring my crap home when I leave your place"! But thanks for the special thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm wheat beer. I agree, those wheat beers that are best actually taste like their namesake. Too bad so many shirk simplicity and go for the "Hey, we added this fruit/spice because we're so crafty"

    ReplyDelete