Monday, March 4, 2013

Stone 11-11-11 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

    Stone's 11-11-11 Vertical Epic Ale is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Located in Escondido, California, Stone Brewing Co. has been doing the Vertical Epic series since 02-02-02. The Vertical Epic series are beers that are meant to be collected until the final 12-12-12 release and then enjoyed in order of release. These are all ales which are designed to age, and 11-11-11 was no different as I am drinking it over a year after bottling. It is important to note that this review is written over a bottle which has aged at around 60 degrees Farenheit  for one year, rather than a newly bottled 11-11-11 Vertical Epic as there may be grave differences.

    11-11-11 pours an opaque cinnamon color with just the slightest bit of foam on top which quickly dissipates.

    The Vertical Epic has an incredibly interesting smell. Notes of banana and cloves from the Belgian yeast are quite obvious in the nose. A malty sweetness is also prevalent. Much more subtle notes of black pepper, cinnamon, and chili pepper leave me anxiously awaiting my first taste.

 
    The aged ale has a medium body with a medium-low level of carbonation. The ale finishes extremely dry.

Unofficial beer of Alduin, the World Eater.
    Stone's ale has a flavor that is one of the most complex that I have ever tasted. All I can say right off the bat is that whatever it is you expect when you taste this ale, you're in for a surprise. There is definitely a sweetness to the ale, though at the same time it almost tastes somewhat sour. A number of spices can be tasted in the ale including black pepper, clove, cinnamon, and even paprika. The sweet malts remind me of dark sugars. There is a surprising amount of citrusy hops flavor up front in the ale that quickly gives way to the warmth of the alcohol and the Anaheim chili used in brewing the ale in the middle. There is a very slight alcohol flavor in the ale, which at 9.4% ABV is not surprising.

    I joke about this Vertical Epic being my Skyrim beer. The reason behind this is, that as some of you may know, Skyrim was released on 11-11-11. My original plan was to take the day off of work, pick up one of these Vertical Epics, and play Skyrim until I fell asleep with the controller in my hand. Unfortunately, my plan didn't work out and I ended up working that day and not picking up this Vertical Epic. As it turns out, I'm glad that I waited an entire year to try this ale. From what I have read, the 11-11-11 Vertical Epic is much better after aging than when I would have first experienced it.
   
    Overall I was extremely surprised by the complexity of this ale. The warmth from the chilies used in brewing along with the light cinnamon flavors make for an extremely comforting flavor that makes me think of the holidays. If you can find a bottle of the 11-11-11 on shelves at the point, I recommend that you give it a try!


Amulets and Ale Rating:


1 comment:

  1. It is a cruel joke to tell some unsuspecting person to try this without any preamble! :)

    I had no idea what expect but definitely got the sour flavor, though not in a good way (and I like sour ales). There's definitely some umami in there...I was reminded almost of mirin. I also think you're dead-on with the paprika. Actually now that I think of it, it reminds me of micheladas. If you like those I think you'd like this.

    But for me, I definitely give it props as an impressive concoction but wouldn't want a whole glass!

    ReplyDelete